May 23, 2013

MUSIC: The Knife New Album, Shaking the Habitual

  The Knife

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Knife/+images/205642

A few years ago I lived and worked in a town 5 hours north of Perth, which meant that I spent a great deal of time traveling to and from the city. Hours and hours spent traveling meant that there was a constant rotation of CD's playing. One particular CD which featured constantly within the confines of my tiny car was 'The Knife'. They were perhaps one of the first bands which really encouraged me to appreciate electronic music.7  years after the release of their previous record, Silent Shout (2006), they have now released 'Shaking the Habitual'.

'Shaking the Habitual' is certainly a  grower. If you are not an electronic, industrial,experimental, ambient music lover, then this album may not appeal to you, but it is interesting to listen to. The first few songs are the most accessible. I am a big fan of bands using found sounds to create their music and The Knife do it so well. Very inspiring stuff!  





If you are not familiar with the band, perhaps the track Heartbeats will jog your memory
The Knife: Heartbeats


 

2 comments:

  1. I heard it streaming when it first came out but haven't got it yet.... a lot less "fun" then their earlier stuff but I love them so much I'm sure it will grow on me. I saw her touring under her other name, Fever Ray, and it was - WITHOUT A DOUBT - the best live show I have ever or probably will ever see again. If they come to Montreal, I'll die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're insane!! My bf's a DJ and the first time he played their The Knife and I got hooked. This is frigging audio perfection!!

    ReplyDelete