May 28, 2013

How to create your own symmetrical lace design



I have recently been experimenting with some different textiles and techniques which I don't often use. This was a lace applique project.


Here is the tutorial for my lace top (previously posted here).




1. TULLE BASE:
Create your desired top with the tulle. I used the Colette Laurel pattern. I altered the pattern by shortening the sleeves 

2. Sew a straight line down the centre front of the top, so that you have a central reference point to base your pattern on.


CHOOSING THE LACE
3. I chose Guipure lace (also known as Venice lace) for this applique lace. If you want the design to be symmetrical, make sure that the lace pattern runs both ways. You can see from the photo above, that the flowers are running in opposite directions  


More info on different lace types here too



4. Arrange the lace. Place and pin in the desired location. 


5. And you are ready to sew away!(I hand sewed the lace, but you could probably machine sew it).

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this DIY is amazing and I definitely need to try this!

    xo Joana
    Grow In Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have to add a symmetrical lace top or something to my sewing project list! Love your lace things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great DIY. Look so ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so amazing and gorgeous. I love looking through your process - very inspirational!! :)

    ReplyDelete