December 25, 2010

Getting into the spirit. MERRY CHRISTMAS! I know this doesn't involve sewing....but I made a Lebkuchenhaus

This post may not be fashion or craft related... but I thought that I would share some cooking adventures with you. 


This year I brought German cooking back to Aus by making 2 houses out of Lebkuchen! YUM! I love Lebkuchen. I suppose it is fairly similar to gingerbread, it just makes use of some different spices. e.g. cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, amongst others (depending on the recipe you use). Here you can find the link for the recipe that I used for the Lebkuchen. I used half the portions specified and I added more of the spices.




Create some templates for the front of the house, the side, the roof and a chimney (as you can see I totally forgot about the chimney)..oops! Make sure that each part of the house is the same length as it's corresponding wall.


Roll out the Lebkuchen so that it is 1cm thick. Lay out the templates then cut around them. You can also cut out some details such as a door and windows. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out the trees


Once the Lebkuchen has completely cooled, spread a layer of icing on the base plate and assemble the pieces  and secure them with more icing (use a piping bag for this). Place cups or tins or what ever you can find to keep the walls standing up right. If you want you can put something inside the house e.g. a lebkuchen man. Once the icing has dried, position the roof on. 

You can now decorate the house. I decided to use a piping bag to create a scalloped tile look. 


You can now add lollies and decorate to your hearts content!


Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. My mum creat same house!!!!!! (sorry I'm french) look this in my blog is very fun

    ReplyDelete